09 July 2007

Brief check-in

Just wanted to give an update about the kitty. When I go in to work this weekend, I will take a picture of him; I was remiss in not doing so this past weekend! He is doing fine. His name is "NoName ___" (my last name); I need to change that. I think I might name him Hudson; we'll see what my new coworkers think about that. His leg is bandaged; there will be no surgery. He will heal just fine, though he may have a limp and one day some arthritis in the leg. The veterinarian who owns the practice says he doesn't want any money from me for taking this fellow in; I intend to donate one of my paychecks from the clinic to him anyway. There is no reason for there to be no compensation at all. Compassion is often its own reward, but there are expenses involved in caring for an injured animal. "Hudson" is a doll. He eats heartily, purrs the very instant you stand in front of his cage, and is just a total lovebug (lots of headbutting, and he adores affection). There is no way in the world that this cat should have been euthanized. Despite the terrible fight I had with M. about the whole thing, I am glad I stood up for what I believe in, money or no money. There are some things that cannot be compromised. I am loving my new job, on the whole. It pays substantially less than what I'm getting here, but I like it better in some ways. I have always loved veterinary medicine, and chances are I always will. I got to do all kinds of cool things on Saturday - I drew blood, gave injections, gave enemas, read urinalyses, fecals, and CBC's, ran the blood machines, monitered catheters - in essence, I was treated like a licensed technician. It was awesome, because I *do* know my stuff. I'm a bit rusty, but I've been involved in veterinary medicine on and off (mostly on) since I was a teenager. Which is much longer ago than I would like. Be that as it may, it feels good to be back into it. What other job is there where, when you're feeling down, you can go pick up a kitten? Not very many. More soon. Ta. ----------------------------- Edited to add: Shannon (http://westeringhills.weblogged.net/) suggests that the kitty have a name reflecting the orchard he hung out in. The trees around here are: honeycrisp, red and golden delicious, empire, macintosh, jersey-mac, ginger-gold, macoun, cameo, fuji, braeburn, cortland, gala, jonagold, lady apple, liberty, mutsu, pristine, smoothee, spigold, winesap... and a bunch of cider apples whose names I don't know. We have a whole block of apples of other varieties I'm not familiar with, but they are few; the above represent what we have the most of. What do you think? Any of these names appeal? Going once, going twice....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think his name should reflect the orchard that he hung out in, maybe some apple name or whatever else is in/around the orchard!

Anonymous said...

I think probably a good name for a cat if you are going to give the cat a "apple name", you cannot say "Red Delicious" is the name because you do not want to say an animal is delicious, a person would eat it (except it is not "usual" for a person to eat a cat, it is not like a cow, for example it does have a big "milkbag" under it, also you do not eat it, I said that already I guess). Anyway so not a "delicious" apple name. I think you should call the cat "Jersey Mac", that is a pretty good name probably.

LittlePea said...

Hey! I happen to think Mutsu sounds cute. Honeycrisp comes in a strong second to me. But I'm a sucker for cutesy names-just look at my blogname :o)

I so admire what you did for that kitty. I'm glad he's doing well. I imagine it must be very rewarding to work in the well being of animals. You're very lucky.

Roxanne said...

Fuji or mutsu sound the best to me. And we definitely need a picture! Good for you for standing up for what you truly believe in. I'm sure this kitty loves you for it. :)

LiVEwiRe said...

I'd forgotten about that... the ability to go squeeze a kitten any time you need to. =) I'll think about names but I'm waiting for a pic first. Of course you should consider it took me 6 weeks to name my own...

lu said...

Keep standing up Anne. I like to use the line, "I hear your opinion, but I'm firm in my decision. It's a bit passive agressive I suppose, but it works to stop any further debate.
Congratulations on the new job!

Rurality said...

The definitive name for a kitten found hanging around an apple orchard?

Newton, of course! :)