29 August 2007

Experiment

While driving home from class last night, my mind was full of thoughts to blog about. Of course, now I can't remember a lick of what I was thinking, but one thought did remain - how about I try to write a little bit every day (well, every week day) for two weeks? I am very very busy, so I don't know if now's the time to start such a project... but if not now, when? Even if it's just a blurb. Which, given my past behavior here, it probably will be. So... starting today (looks at calendar) through the 12th of September, I will attempt to post something every week day. Today I'm doing lab work (subcultures from diseased leaves and twigs) in an attempt to figure out what's causing die-back in an orchard in Maine. I'm also taking new cultures from diseased leaves out of a Cornell-based orchard. After that, it's off to our orchard to continue putting weights on apple saplings... after that, cleaning more apple boxes in preparation for harvest. That's always great fun, given that I do this task in a greenhouse that generally hovers around 100 degrees in this sort of weather. And after that? My first day of clinicals. Thankfully, I won't be at the hospital until next week. I say "thankfully" because I'm nervous and not quite ready for it just yet. We'll meet at the school with our instructor & go over what is to come this semester. Last night's five hour lecture was painful, but made less so by a very funny and likable instructor who was generous with the breaks throughout. One down, 14 to go! Monday night, we learned how to clean simple post-surgical incisions. It has begun. Ok, so this new writing venture isn't terribly exciting - that's ok. The idea is to get into the swing of writing...eventually something interesting might escape my fingers! I'll also (she promised for the quatrillionth time) try catching up on blog reading at some point too. Until later, ta. --------------------- p.s. Apparently, I am Cat Rescue Lady. We have another stray hanging around the lab; I started feeding her (I think it's a her, but I haven't been able to verify that yet) this week. She's very skittish, but she'll let me get within about five feet of her (meowing pitifully the entire time, looking right into my eyes) before she sprints off. I'm hoping to win her trust eventually so that I can get her some veterinary care and maybe find her a home. Not sure yet how I'm going to manage that latter; I'll just have to play it by ear. Sometimes I wish I could just turn a blind eye to these creatures - would make my life a whole lot easier - but I just can't. And I wouldn't be me if I did that, either, you know? Alrighty then, now back to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Write away, I'll be here to read.