31 August 2007

Friday

I don't have a lot to say (such is the nature of posting every day, and also my predilection for not being able to write anything meaningful)... but here goes, anyway. I'm about to go back out to the orchard to continue putting weights on saplings; it causes them to grow their branches more laterally, doing this. Before that, though, I am going to try to isolate some sort of wild bacterium that is decimating a set of cherry trees in a local orchard. Thankfully whatever this is is only affecting one variety, but the sad part is that these were big, healthy trees. I haven't before isolated from deep within the bark of a cherry tree, so I need to make sure I'm isolating from the correct tissue. It'll take some time, but this is actually my favorite part about this job (aside from the part where I get to be outside for large parts of the day) - I love trying to isolate an organism from a lesion on a plant. It's really interesting and I enjoy it a lot. Miss Maxine Bean has been a no-show today, but her food was gone this morning and there was cat hair on the bowl. Off to work with me. ta.

No comments: