22 August 2007

Waxing cranky...

...for no good reason. It's been one of those days of teeny, tiny annoyances - the keypad at the door to the gym locker room refuses to open for me 12 times in a row. I forget my goggles in the locker room and have to go back to get them. I drop my dry clothes into a puddle of water in the shower area. The construction-related delay on the way to work lasts 3 minutes longer than usual. I twist an ankle in the cold room while retrieving a box of apples. I bite my tongue while eating lunch. POOR POOR ANNE. Oh, the agony, the horror! I know. I'm living it. At any rate, I've been fighting off an appearance of The Cranky all day. I am still trying not to succumb to it. I'm not sure what the heck is wrong with me - clearly my day lacks in epic tragedy. I'm not particularly depressed (which - woo hoo!), I actually slept well last night for the first time in weeks, and I'm definitely getting back in shape, albeit slowly. I think it's the sense of impending doom that is beginning to get to me - doom in the form of school starting again next week, and also in the form of my job ending in two months. I can't even begin to tell you how little I am looking forward to the start of a new semester. Yes, I'm still happy with my choice to pursue nursing, and yes I do enjoy the material I'm learning... but I am very much dreading that adversarial relationship the faculty seems to have with the student body. And the poorly written tests. And the long, long days. Shudder. As for the job bit, I'm happy at the veterinary clinic I've landed in, but I do not foresee the practice owner having enough hours for me to live on. M. has suggested retail, convenience store work, and a number of other hideously unappealing options, to which I say, please don't let it come to that. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do when I leave here; there is a severe paucity of any science-related work in this region. And so - I begin to feel cranky. And apprehensive. Sigh. Otherwise, though, I'm really fine. Moving on. I have entered my second week of Swimming for Success, given that the knee botheration continues unabated. I haven't been seen in a bathing suit in approximately a gajillion years, so you can see I'm very much motivated to get back in shape. I've been swimming 45 minutes every morning. It tires me out like hiking and running never did, which is kind of strange. I spend the mornings at work feeling relaxed and immensely sleepy; had I gone for a run or a hike, I would have been relaxed and wide-spankin' awake. I'm not sure why this is. In other news, Mac (the hit-by-car kitty I rescued some weeks ago) went home yesterday - YAY!!!! Most everyone at the clinic was sad to see him go; he turned out to be a totally awesome, affectionate, motorboatly purring sweetheart of a cat. In a nifty turn of events, I was actually there to see him off - I'd taken half a day's vacation from the lab yesterday in order to fill in a shift at the clinic. His new owners seem very nice. I'm so pleased that there was a happy ending in Mac's case. Well, sorry for the boring. I had to take a break from rating boxes (and boxes and boxes and boxes) of apples for summer disease. I was about to scream from the monotony, but then I realized I should be thankful for these few remaining moments of gainful employment and felt guilty, so I stifled the scream and came here to torment the internet instead. On that note, ta for now. Some day soon I will catch up on blog-reading and emailing. I really will.

4 comments:

LittlePea said...

So happy for that kitty. There's something soothing about water that makes me sleepy too. I usually jog in the morning but when I opt for swimming instead I feel the exact same way. As for The Cranky, it's only normal to feel a little off when things don't start off well. Once school starts you'll hopefully get into a routine and hopefully find a pleasant and rewarding place to work.

Anonymous said...

Noooooo! You bit your tongue. That is one life's annoyances that seem so unfair. We trust out tongue to stay out of the way from our choppers. I take it personally. I'm glad the kitty had a happy conclusion.

Retail: NO!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you followed your heart and created a happy ending for little Mac! Good for you (and Mac!)!

I have faith that you will not have to do a retail job. Honest. Smile, Sweetie!

LiVEwiRe said...

I'm so glad to hear that Mac went home; has to be a good feeling! And best of luck with school. let us know how it all begins!