05 September 2007

Post-clinical

Hi there. I'm stopped off at work again on the way home from school. I'm beat, and I didn't even have a full clinical shift tonight! Just think how I'll be feeling next week. Yeee (shudders). Tonight we basically just got a tour of the place and a lecture about expectations and so forth. We were there for four and a half hours; normally, I'll be there for six. It was a little intimidating, seeing where I'll be working this semester and probably henceforth, for a time anyway - the hospital. It was also very exciting. I have a hard time imagining myself feeling competent there, belonging there, at this point in the game. One step at a time, I know. I was a terrific vet tech, but I also did that for years and years; it was only after I had some time under my belt that I felt good about even that job. Anyhow, yeah. First night at the hospital. I passed my math exam last night, so that's good. Meanwhile, back in kitty land... I hadn't seen the cat all day today. When I got here, I went outside and called... and 10 minutes later, I'm sitting here at my desk and I hear him meowing at the door. Awww. I sat with him as he ate, and he was a total lovebug after his belly was full - twirling around my knees and feet, rubbing all over me, purring. He's a doll. Still very skittish (no false moves, lady!), but he's coming along. None too soon - I won't be here at this job for much longer, and winter approaches. In some ways, I wish I had never seen this cat... but in other ways, there really isn't any way I wouldn't have. He keeps peering into the lab as if he belongs in here... I wish! My boss has more or less looked the other way with my feeding this fellow - I wouldn't push his good nature by letting the cat inside. Quite a conundrum I've gotten myself into. Sigh. We'll see what happens. Well, I'm going home now. I'm glad kitty-boy's belly is full now. Have I described him yet? I can't remember. He's a grey and white kitty - grey tabby mostly, but with a white belly and chest and chin. He's very cute. Yellow-green eyes, smallish for a male. Still too thin, and still with the bilateral eye infection. He sneezed tonight as well. I wouldn't be shocked if he had some bad viral infection(s)... but I hope not. It's almost certain that he has an upper respiratory infection of one kind or another. I still don't have a name for him, since he turned out to be a he. I'll have to poll my coworkers tomorrow, see what they think. They were kind of hooked on Maxine Bean. Apparently this is going to be all cat and nursing school all the time. Hang in there... eventually there will be more. So far, I've made good on my promise of writing every week day! Go, me! Ta for now.

No comments: