25 April 2007

Hey there!

I'm incredibly busy these days, hence the radio silence. I'm doing alright, if a bit pissy at times - and I've apologized for said pissiness to most people who have potentially been on the receiving end. I do owe one more to my coworker, who got an earful this afternoon through no fault of his own - he was merely an innocent bystander to a sudden and colorful meltdown. I'm over it now, at least for the time being. Just a little steam out of the boiling teakettle, I suppose. My entire body hurts. It's not bad, but man, the aches! My return to the gym has coincided with major physical demands at my job, and when I'm at the nursing home of course I end up doing a lot of lifting and shifting of patients. Also, I forgot to put sunscreen on for a few days running, so now I've got the start of a really fabulous farmer's tan. Right now, though, it's more reddish pink than brown, so that adds to the whole feeling of soreness. My patient gave me a kiss tonight! She is SO CUTE. I shouldn't speak of a patient in terms like that without also saying this - I absolutely respect her person and her agency. She is a strong individual, and I care about her very much. I had assisted her into bed, and she was too low - slumped a bit. I moved her up, and so my face was right next to hers - and after she'd been moved, she gave me a kissaroo right on the cheek! What a doll. She's been an absolute dream of a patient. I am very fortunate to know her. I planted 20 mid-size apple trees today all by myself, and helped with about 170 more little ones. As we were planting, the birds were just singing up a storm, and there was much buzzy calling by some mockingbirds who were either flirting or fighting - I couldn't tell. I also met a bluetick coonhound who came jaunting all loose-jointed up to the fence at the back of the orchard. Gorgeous fellow. He bayed at my coworker in that beautiful bell-toned bugle they have. I love it! Spring has truly arrived around here - the beauty all around makes me feel full to bursting with it. The vividness of it amazes me and makes me feel so alive. I try to remind myself always to drink it in. Moments are precious. Well, I'd better be off. I may or may not post before next week - I'm going on a research related trip tomorrow and Friday, but I might be able to squeak something out tomorrow. Ta for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had patients like that. That's what makes nursing worthwhile.

Spring has finally arrived here too, not a moment too soon. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hope your busy week is going well, Anne. Soon you'll be able to relax a little--right in time for patio season! Take care.