13 June 2007

In lieu of anything really interesting...

I present to you two of my bookshelves. Yep. There they are! The one on top also has my collection of beloved knick-knacks. I'm not one to buy myself such things, ever - they were all given to me. The photos you see are my dad (blue frame) with a small snapshot of his dad in the corner of it; Shannon (and maybe Barrett?) at a party, and my parents and brother when he was in the Marines. I know you can't really see any of them very well, but I thought I'd list them nonetheless. I used to have far more books than this; I have pared down to old favorites and I try to go to the library instead of buying. I have three other bookshelves other than these; they mostly contain my textbooks and various field and hiking guides as well as cookbooks. One of the first things I do when I'm visiting someone is to look at their choice in books - they say a lot about a person. There isn't much more in life that I love as much as I love books and reading; these things are central to my life and I daresay my happiness.
So. Apologies for the long silence. I haven't felt like talking. I have similarly fallen behind in my email communication and in my commenting habits. I guess I'm in kind of a silent space right now - I haven't been talking on the phone either. I don't really have much to say. Work is going along just fine, but I really need to get my resume out there for something after my funding runs out here. It's going to be particularly challenging to find a good job given my constraints - I have to be able to get to class by 5 on Tuesdays and by 4:30 on Wednesdays, so the job has to be both flexible and geographically near the school. There really isn't anything that pays more than slightly over minimum wage that fits the bill. For the millionth time, I must say I am so very fortunate to have the job that I do right now. I really wish it would continue until I'm done with nursing school. Ah, well. If nothing else, I may end up being a veterinary assistant or receptionist again. I took my cat to the vet over the weekend and the doctor expressed interest in hiring me; he also said since he has two techs who are licensed in NY, he doesn't mind that I'm not and would let me do things that I know how to do instead of relegating me to kennel duty. I'm sure there would be kennel duty too, but that wouldn't be my exclusive province. We shall see. The big advantage of that job would be that it is within walking distance of my house.
As to the ongoing depression.... meh. It still clings like a wet blanket. Nothing has really changed. Of course, I'm not on any meds at this point, and my exercise schedule - while not nonexistent - hasn't been strenuous enough to ward off the blues. The new therapist is an unknown quantity as yet - it's always hard to tell at first. She seems nice enough. I will reserve judgement for now.
Did I say I didn't feel like talking? I really don't, but I suppose I wanted to catch you up if you read here. Today's work: pruning root suckers and scrubbing down one of the large walk-in coolers where we store apples. Neither of these things fills me with happy anticipation.... but they must be done... and so I'm off.
Ta for now.

4 comments:

LiVEwiRe said...

Number one, take your meds. When in doubt, repeat number one - but only as scheduled, of course. Actually, I'm on my meds and feeling the same as you. My talking and participation has been limited because I just don't feel like I have anything to say. Or I don't want to put forth the effort. One day we'll be happier. I'm not planning on skipping through life, mind you, but I think we can both find a better place. Which we can discuss later when we feel like talking.

Anonymous said...

Yep, that is me and Barrett, and Barrett's ex-wife, back in autumn 1994! Har! I remember that party very well. I loved that hat.

LittlePea said...

Silence is good. Silence can be healthy :o) I avoid the phone as much as I can. I think meds take a while to start balancing out don't they? So I wouldn't be worried about that just yet.

Vet tech sounds fun, because I love animals. It would probably be a good choice for you.

I totally agree with you about books saying a lot about a person. I do that too-check out a person book collection. I couldn't live without my books.

Kristi said...

I love the photos of your bookshelves. And you're so right about one's collection revealing quite a bit. Reading is a passion of mine, too, (although I'm not doing nearly as much of it as I would like in recent months), but that doesn't stop me from continuing to buy books and stack them in my closet. I need to hit the library instead, as you have.

Clearly, I have a problem. :)