10 May 2008

Who do I love?

Simon LeBon, John Taylor, Andy Taylor, Nick Rhodes, and Roger Taylor.

Indeed.

Seriously. They were so cute! I have spent the past few hours gobbling up old 80's videos, loving the music and also remembering why these guys had my heart in their hands, despite their ignorance of my existence. I don't have internet access at home, and I have no sound at work where I do have internet access, and holy cow, man! I can't stop listening to old music, watching old videos! (right now, "The Dangerous Type" by the Cars). It's been a festival of these bands: Duran Duran, New Order, Tears for Fears, Thompson Twins, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, INXS, Depeche Mode, Howard Jones, Robert Plant (sans Zep), The Cure, The Fixx, and yes I know I am dating myself horribly. There are others. Which include... much to my embarassment, I suppose - Billy Squier. He was sexy, in a very strange way. (she said defensively).

I have failed to include in my list of bands that I would have been exploring in 9th grade: the Police (meh, yes, they're talented, but really no, not for me.), Kajagoogoo (who I will look up shortly), Rod Stewart (huh?...except I really did love the song "Baby Jane." Indeed.), REM (yes, I still like them), the Alarm (no comment, really), U2 (clearly they're fine without my help... and yes, I do still like them, mostly), and Tom Petty. And the Heartbreakers, I suppose. There are others. This is fun! I had no idea how fun it could be having the internet AND SPEAKERS! Yay! No poking fun. I'm allowed these little joys, right? Of course I am. Everybody wants me, according to Billy. Which means I can do pretty much anything.

Alrighty, then. Goodnight, I think!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duran Duran is coming to Seattle soon....or did they already? Darn it, I can't remember. I would LOVE to see them. And I watched Lemal sing "Never Ending Story" on youtube the other day. Wow, does that bring back memories! :}

Anonymous said...

That is me posting. I'm a dork!

Anonymous said...

Not a fan of The Police? Really? I still like their first three albums a lot and also, how can you not loooove the video to "Don't Stand So Close to Me?" Sting was mega cute in that one!

As for the Alarm, I was a huge fan due to Marisa, but I don't recall you being a fan even back then. So no surprise there. I still adore their first album.

Anonymous said...

Ok, after you have lunch with my Mom, go to youtube and search for "Deaf Karaoke, the ultimate live version". It will freakin' crack you up! And it DEFINITELY needs sound!

Anonymous said...

Janice here--until I figure out this blog "identity" thing, I'll post as anonymous...
I admit it--I still love Duran Duran. I think I told you I went to see them about three years ago and was pleasantly surprised. They weren't the self-absorbed fellows I expected; instead, they seemed to be in tune with what was going on in the world, and with the concerns of everyday folk, which was both surprising and refreshing.

I'd see them again in a heartbeat--it was very easy to get lost in their music. Easy to ogle them, too, for that matter.

As for the rest, my taste is pretty wide-ranging, and a blast from the past is always fun. Wouldn't mind finding out what Adam Ant is up to these days. He was always such a cutie.