28 February 2008

Greetings.

Set of turkey tracks, nicely preserved in ice

Close-up of same - love these tracks, obviously can't get enough of them!

Pebbles and ice. That's pretty much it.

Snow piled up between the horticulture and entomology greenhouses. Not anything special, just something I wanted to remember.

Tower O' Plates. These are made up of a media I invented (yes, really) to encourage the growth of Penicillium species while inhibiting the growth of other critters. It's not a huge accomplishment by any means - the world of media development is vast - but still, it's a little bit cool. Anyway, these are destined for experiments I'm doing today, tomorrow, and early next week.

Organisms I isolated from Honeycrisp apples. I would guess that these guys are of the genus Botryosphaeria.

Just in case anyone is sensitive to and/or triggered by stuff related to cutting, please don't scroll down. It's not a big deal, it's just stuff that you might not want to see.

My left arm.

Hi. So. I wasn't planning to make this into a post about that last photo, but I did put it there for a reason. The medication I am on really does seem to be helping, and more quickly than I thought it would. Perhaps the placebo effect is in play, but I really don't think so. I am starting to feel even, real, capable of joy and of responsibility and of caring about myself and my situation. And so many other things! Like perhaps being a better friend, something I haven't been in too long. This is why I think the medication is working and it's not just an artifact of thinking it might work. I am so glad. You don't have to warn me about the precariousness of this moment, or of the medication's effects - I know these things. I have been so down for so very long - stretches of years, truly years. Really, though, I am feeling better. My head is clearer, and I know that the medication might lose efficacy in time. I also appreciate the moments that it is giving me, though. I feel stronger than I have in a long time. It's still a nascent feeling, but it's there. I'm not all better yet, but I'm improving. The picture I show above is one way I have dealt with my issues, such as they are. There are scars all over my body just like those. Brilliant, I know! So pretty! What I am really saying here is that the medication works. It works, and it's worth taking. Thank you, Shannon, for encouraging me for so long. I love you so much for the way you have supported my general insanity since elementary school. I don't deserve you. Still, though, I have you, and I am grateful. And so, that's it for now. I will keep you posted. Until later,

Ta.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne, it's so brave of you to open up the way you have. Thank you for sharing. I'm so very heartened to hear that you're starting to feel the medication working. That's wonderful, wonderful news! I hope you continue to feel better.

Anonymous said...

You're making me cry, Anne, right here at work!

Leslie said...

You posting that last photo is an obvious sign of your growing strength. You posting anything at all about your troubles is a sign of that strength. I hope the medication continues to help.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know. And I'm glad that you're on medication and that it's helping. Keep strong and sending a hug.

LittlePea said...

I'm glad for you that you have a med that suits you. Some people take years to find the correct one. So brave of you to let us in on something so personal Anne. So brave.
I love your photos too by the way.