29 February 2008

Happy weekends to you

Male cardinal chewing on suet cake, part one.

Same bird resting between chewings.

Another shot of the biting of the suet cake. I know - the window is filthy. I blame the birds.

This bird made me laugh like crazy because, one, he figured out that the suet cake would be yummy and good to eat, and two, he looked SO SILLY standing on his birdy tip-toes to reach it. I have since lowered the whole thing so that other birds besides woodpeckers and itty bitty guys like chickadees and titmice can reach it.

Because I have nothing else I feel like talking about right now, I am going to copy an email I sent to Price and Shannon (http://thekchorns.com/ and http://westeringhills.weblogged.net/). Feel free to add your own fears in the comments. Also? I will be out on Monday because I have an exam on Tuesday night, so I'll be studying at home. Hopefully. If I'm not, I will instead be reading a library book because I cannot control my non-textbook-reading impulses. Wish me luck.

Without further ado, the email:

My irrational fears for most of my life have been these:

1. Throwing my keys into my car by accident and then locking it. Corollary fears have been dropping my keys into the river (I used to have to cross a pedestrian bridge over a river to get to some of my classes in college, and I always felt as though I might lose the keys that way) and dropping my keys down a sewer drain.

2. Sucking my eyeball out with a vacuum cleaner. This one stems from the fact that my father told me this would be possible if you happened to put the hose up against your eye. I never would have even thought to do that, but my dad was all about being semi-paranoid with regard to potential injuries to his children or his wife. To this day, he actually *gets mad* at my mom for walking the dog. Why? Because someone might run over her. Yes, really. And yes, really, truly angry.

3. Being murdered in an empty public restroom. This one is a bit strange, and probably a result of watching/reading too many horror movies/books. There's just something a little creepy to me about a big, echoey, empty public restroom.

4. Putting my fingers through a baby's fontanelles, right into its brain. This points directly to the fact that I have handled very few babies in my time. I know they're more resilient than this, but it's still a fear to this day.

More recently, my irrational fears have mostly involved imagining someone violently breaking into our house. That's probably not terribly irrational, though, given the neighborhoods that we are immediately adjacent to. And you?

Over and out until March fourth! Ta.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand the dropping the keys down the drain thing, as I avoid walking over the larger grates for specifically that reason. As for locking them in the car, done that a time or two, but really went all out when I locked them in the car while they were still in the ignition....with the car still running. Had a hard time breaking down and calling my Dad to bring me my spare key. :/
I also worried about the soft spot thing with babies when I was younger, but am over that, though still ultra careful where my hands are at the baby's head!
Cute pics! I miss cardinals!

Anonymous said...

Kari, I miss cardinals too. Do you think the Pac NW environment would be too upset if we introduced them, along with fireflies? ;)

Mariposa said...

Good luck on your exam and have a nice weekend!

lu said...

Ha! Oh yes, you have to love these kinds of irrational fears. I fear that one day my children or I may stumble on an escalator and be scalped. Or beheaded in a horrific elevator incident...Or fingers lost in an electric car window...

My mother had a knack for these scary stories and my father would rig up a model to show us how these things could actually happen; little lessons in engineering.

Oh this list is great!

Love and hugs,
and by all means,
Safe passage!

LittlePea said...

Ooh! Irrational fears---my middle name. Fear of loosing my keys and being locked out, I so understand. I was latchkey kid and still have that mindset. Fear of being attacked in an empty public restroom, yup, me too. The baby thing, yeah that would be awful. I worry about that but I had to get over it quickly when I worked in a day care center. Home invasion, oh my word yes. The worst for me is to imagine this happening while I'm asleep. But then I have a dog. Still though.

I love cardinals.

Rurality said...

I once had to be called out of a corporate meeting to be TOLD that I had left my keys locked in the car, with the car running... talk about embarrassing!

Actually the only one on your list I haven't worried about is #2. Well, not that I actually *worry* about #3... but it occurs to me. :) I am sort of like the Walter Mitty of imagining bad things that can happen to me. But my rationalization is, well if I think of them beforehand, then I won't be so surprised, will I?!