14 December 2006

I don't talk politics here, but....

...I heard a clip on NPR this morning about South Dakota Senator Tim Johnson. He may have had a stroke yesterday during a teleconference with reporters. They played the bit where his speech became first confused and then senseless - as a lethal bloom of ischemia or hemorrhage flowered in his brain. The man underwent surgery late yesterday and is listed in critical condition now. I can imagine how his friends, family, his staff, all must be feeling - shocked and scared. I can't imagine how he must have felt - how cognizant was he of what was happening? Did it hurt? Is his whole life changed now? Will he survive and recover? Was he frightened? I am not from South Dakota, and until today had never heard of Sen. Tim Johnson. However, the commentary following that sad recording of his medical emergency was this: Will the Republicans now take control of the Senate? What will become of the Democrats' tenuous hold on Senatorial power? Horrors! Politics, handwringing, politics, moaning, politics. Not one thing about how this man's life has changed. Not one word about how his wife, who rode to the hospital with him, must feel. It made my stomach roil. I think what bothered me most is that they would play to voyeuristic millions what for him was probably a terrifying moment, almost intimate in its bewildered fumbling.... and then follow up with hateful political scrambling and no mention that this is a human being suffering. There are equally tragic things happening in the world every day, situations and instances more awful. However, what I heard on the radio this morning for some reason put its finger right on the pulse of why the misanthropic streak in my heart and mind is as wide and deep as it is. People can be so disappointing. And that's an understatement of grand proportions. ********************************** More later, possibly on a lighter note. Until later, ta.

No comments: