12 December 2006

Tyoosday

Sorbus americana, Sprucehead Island, ME
Greetings! Last night, I turned on NPR partway through a story about a singer. I hadn't heard the front half of the piece, so I didn't know who they were talking about. I listened to the music and I liked it - what a familiar voice! You know... he sounds just like Cat Stevens. It's amazing! I could swear this is Cat Stevens. The artist turned out to be.... (wait for it) Yusef Islam. Yep - Cat Stevens. Kind of a boring anecdote, but it made me smile at the time. I grew up on his music - him, Simon & Garfunkle, John Denver, The Carpenters, Peter, Paul & Mary. I have great fondness for all of these artists because they are the music of my early childhood, when my dad was still in college. I loved the song "Peace Train" best of all; I even like the 10,000 Maniacs remake of it, though not as well as the original. Moving on. I am still at a loss for what to write about.... or, more to the point, how to write about it without revealing too much. After all, I don't want a repeat performance wherein I have the sudden, pressing need to delete the whole blog. That kind of sucked. I guess I'll ponder the new reality further... and dive into the more personal stuff sometime later. Meanwhile, more about the delicious trifles of my life! Whee! Tonight is the final exam. No, I still haven't studied for it. Ostensibly, I came in to work early to do a bit of studying, but in my usual fashion I checked email and read blogs instead. Oh yes, I am a master of procrastination. I do believe I am the premier practitioner of it at least in the state of NY, if not the entire eastern seaboard. So... it will be lunchtime and post-work studying for me. It's worked well enough for the past two exams - why change a successful formula? Indeed. Ho hum. Well, best get to work. Today is Botrytis Day! Actually, tomorrow is too. Ah, fungus. Who doesn't love it? ********************************** random fact for the day: There is a (sadly) empty pickle jar on my desk. today, I am grateful for: hot coffee and English sparrows. Ta for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, botrytis sure does make for a tasty dessert wine! I have a small bottle at home waiting for a special occasion.

I am thankful for the hundreds of starlings that roost smack in the middle of downtown every evening--it makes the hustle and bustle of the city seem unimportant, to hear all that starling chatter drowning out the cars.

Anonymous said...

Sparrows and starlings! I have perhaps been harbouring unreasonable resentment towards both species for their non-native/invasive species status. Although, I do find sparrows to be quite cute. And I like the chatter of starlings. It's just always...tainted with the worry about the habitat their encroaching upon. Isn't it silly, when they're just as delightful as other birds?

PS Thanks for emailing me your new link, Anne!