10 March 2008

Monday, Monday.

Another view of the microscope room, shifted to the left from the below shot.

Acid!

I'm cheating with these photos - I took them Friday and just didn't upload them. I know, I know - contain yourselves. How dare I force you to wait an entire weekend before seeing them. I understand - they really are that exciting.

Moving on. My birthday was yesterday. It kind of sucked. It's a bit silly to feel let down about how your birthday went at my age, but I do feel a little let down nonetheless. M. and I didn't sleep in the same bed again (his cough and snoring), and when he came into the guest room on my birthday morning, he said, "You know what day it is?" I answered, "My birthday!" He was like, "Yeah. And we have to change the clocks - it's daylight savings time." No emphasis at all on my birthday, no "happy birthday, Anne," nothing. Just - change the clocks. After that, I spent the morning cleaning the house because his family was coming over for a dual celebration - my birthday and his mother's, which is this week. The family arrived, and we spent the afternoon out to lunch and then at a St. Patrick's day parade. We went back to the house and I served up the cake my mother-in-law brought, made coffee and served that up, ate no cake myself because I don't like sweets, and then cleaned all the dishes by myself while everyone lingered until 6 pm. Which pretty much shot the day, because I also had to do the laundry and go grocery shopping. What fun! Yes, I know - I am martyring myself for a small thing. Wah, I had to do the dishes on my birthday, etcetera. I know. All I really wanted was to have time to myself - to read, to go to a local garden show, to relax. Instead, I spent it running around for M.'s family with pretty much no input from him. I do care for his family, but I feel like they don't really know me. I'm sort of a family joke in some ways - Anne who is "so smart," so vegetarian, so highly verbal that we can't understand her, who is weirdly ungirly with her non-make-up wearing and ragged clothes and ridiculous love for animals. They do respect these differences, but they also don't really get me, and they do all laugh about these things. I know it's in good fun, and that's fine, but it feels kind of isolating. I miss my family, my friends - the ones who do get me, who don't think I'm some sort of anomaly.

Anyway, I realize that this is all intensely self-centered. My in-laws are good people. They mean well, and they probably do care about me. I'm just really tired. That's my way of saying - again - that things aren't going well, and I'm too.... apathetic? energyless? exhausted? depressed? to change it. As I have said, my two main goals this year are to finish the nursing program and to address my mental health. I am actively doing both, so that's something. And some good news? That test I thought I bombed? I got a 94 on it! No, I'm not quite sure how that happened. Seriously. I'm pretty happy about it, though! On that note, I'm signing off until tomorrow. Best to you all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNE!!!!!!!! I firmly believe that birthdays are special and everyone deserves to be indulged and spoiled on their birthday. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your birthday celebration and I *totally* understand that disappointment and don't think there's any need to ever grow out of it. For what it's worth, I'm telepathically sending you a bouquet of flowers (some yellow tulips and some striking gerbera daisies just to make things fun). MWAh!

lu said...

Happy Birthday Anne. It is not in the least bit self centered to want to be understood and treated on your birthday and every other day. M's & his family were rude and selfish. You deserve what you want.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Miss Smartie Pants:)

LiVEwiRe said...

Well geez... happy birthday!!!! But know this now, I have a big empty space in my brain in the region where birthdays are remembered. There is a good chance I'll forget for the next one. ;) You might be happy you were stuck doing dishes. I would have made you a horrible tasting (not on purpose) cake in the shape of some sort of insect or animal and cut up bits of paper to toss at you like confetti while singing happy birthday off key. Waaay off key. =) Happy, happy birthday! Congrats on tackling your goals and WAY TO GO on that test!!