12 March 2008

Take it easy. Also? Holy crap!

Such is my response to my first real exercise in (gulp) months.

"Take it easy" is one of those catch phrases from AA, a group with which I am uncomfortably familiar. I have found this phrase's simplicity and applicability to many aspects of my life comforting. I say it to myself when I'm getting carried away by something or another, which I am prone to do all too often. This time, jumping rope interspersed with a series of calisthenics. While it felt good, it was also excruciatingly disheartening to come face to face with how out of shape I really am. Hence, take it easy. I can't expect to just bounce right back after such a long hiatus - it's impossible, and if I expect it of myself, I'm just encouraging failure. So take it easy. One day at a time. And yes, I know that one's from AA too! These little mantras can be oddly helpful. Anyhow, we'll call this DAY ONE - THE RETURN OF EXERCISE!

"Holy crap!" This one is easy - I can't believe the things I used to do with relative ease. Running miles and miles, climbing mountain after mountain, running stairs for hours, pushing and punishing my body over and over again, and loving/hating/loving every minute of it. I didn't need alcohol or relationships or food or anything else - just me and my body and the workout. How I was in love with it! And how I really do miss it. I want it back. And now, for some small goals - I need to keep them reasonable for now. The craziness can come later, when I'm fit again.

Three goals, in no particular order: 1. exercise every day, even if it's only going for a walk and doing some abs and push-ups. Every day! 2. get back to the gym starting tomorrow; go there at least 3 times/week - school will prevent much more than that for now, but 3 times is good. 3. get back in the pool one month from today.

There. I feel good. Until the morrow, b'bye.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl.

Leslie said...

The nice thing about being so out of shape and then starting to exercise? You'll see improvement right away! :)