29 January 2007

Hard to say....

...what's going on in my life right now. Or, perhaps more honestly, I don't really want to say. The past several days have been a nightmare much of the time, with a few bright moments of clarity. I don't think it's wise or perhaps even necessary, at least at this juncture, to disclose what's going on - perhaps in time. I'll say right off the bat that it has nothing to do with M., except that he's part of my life of course; this time, the bad stuff is all about me and my behaviors. I've discussed what's happening with Shannon, naturally; her conclusion is that recent events may portend a better, brighter future, despite the current tribulation. And trust me when I say it is tribulation. I've spent the weekend reevaluating who I am, who I really am, and who I want to be. It's funny how different the actual "you" can be from the "you" you've held in your head your whole life. I've been ashamed and humbled. As I think I've said before - and if I haven't I'm saying it now - honest self-evaluation might well be one of the toughest exercises there is in life. I'm talking utterly honest, no self-story-telling self-evaluation, more akin to stripping the layers of one's soul down with a scalpel blade than to the sort involving journaling and gentle discussion. There's nothing gentle about looking at yourself under the harsh wattage of reality, with no loving fictional self-accounts and sans the lenses through which your loved ones see you. And that's where I am. I thought I was ready for this when I started this blog; as it turns out, I wasn't. I am now, though. I know this with my gut. I am scared. I'm afraid I won't be able to do it. I'm terrified that I will turn to old, familiar habits, as damaging as they are - better the hell you know than the great unknown, right? Wrong - I'm not going to slide back down. It's going to take a lot of effort, and I'm not going to be able to do it alone. One of my failures is that I've often been unwilling to seek or accept help when I need it. Several years ago, in a place in some ways darker than where I am now, I did learn to embrace the offer of help. I need to do so again now, today, and in the coming months. And so, another new beginning. Life is full of them, I'm finding. And maybe that's a good thing. Shannon, thank you my dearest dear one for always being there for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mwah = big kiss from me! I will stand by your side for this. It will be hard and I too will do my utmost best to strive for the same difficult goal. I'll be there with you.

Leslie said...

It is really hard to put yourself through the rigors of self-examination. Don't forget to be patient with yourself. And don't forget there's another person in Seattle whom you can call on for help. (I'm talking about me!) Really. What for are we here if not to help one another?

Anonymous said...

Old habits die hard. Self examination is good but it's also okay to not be perfect and to accept that about yourself. We all make mistakes, that's okay. You can let go of things you've done and make just today better.

I know it sounds preachy but I've also beaten myself to a pulp over things I've done or said.

Anonymous said...

First, I'm glad that your surgery went well. And second, I'm with everyone else--self-examination is important and necessary and is a very important step to healing and growth, but there's no need to be too hard on yourself. I, for one, think you're pretty great!

lu said...

Hey, be kind, someone told me to once, was it you? Be as kind to yourself as you would a dear friend.

you are dear, and merit kindness.

With you.