12 January 2007

Sunny photo for a grey day

Orchard center on a late summer day
(this is where I work)
Not much to say today and lots of work to do, so just a short update: I am having surgery next week on ye olde right knee. The doctor will be using some sort of dremel tool (that's what I'm envisioning, anyway) to smooth the roughened edges of my ragged articular cartilage. While he's in there ravaging my connective tissues, he will see if he needs to do something called a lateral release. This procedure will allow my patella to ride a little higher above said ragged cartilage, reducing the chance for further inflammation. He won't know if he needs to do that or not till he's got my knee open to the world. I will be on crutches for anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks, depending upon what he does. Happily, an Arctic front has chosen the week of my surgery to blow in, so I look forward to negotiating icy sidewalks and snowbanks on crutches. Personally, I'd rather our apparent global warming continue up through the point of my being ambulatory sans crutches - after that, I'd be fine with winter finally settling in. I don't have much say in weather patterns, though, which is unfortunate.
Moving on.
I'm probably going to be taking my bird in to be euthanized on Monday late afternoon. I probably won't be in at all that day, as I have presurgical screening that morning and I'm certain I won't be good for much in the hours leading up to the death of my little girl. I really can't write about it right now because it just hurts too much.
Let's see... can I come up with something happy or at least not sad to say? Hmm. I answered the phone yesterday here at work with a cheerful, "(Place of work) knees, can I help you?" Instead of "(Place of work) Lab, can I help you?" The caller was silent in confusion and I quickly corrected myself. I had a difficult time not snorting in his ear with laughter.
Well, that's all I've got right now. I'll sign back in later.
Ta.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the bird.

:-(

Kristi said...

I hope your knee surgery is quick and painless (and the recovery too). And I'm so sorry about your bird. I know what it's like to lose an animal companion, and it just sucks. :(

lu said...

I'm sorry about birdie,

And the knee surgery, and the blues.

Hang in and get some good books to read while you're down.

I'm reading Water for Elephants, Sweetness in the Belly is next on the list.
I'd bring you a big o jar of pickled stuff if I could.

Mojo,
Lu.

Anonymous said...

I sure hope your surgery goes well and that the doc finds s/he need only do the simpler of the two surgery options. You will be in my thoughts.

I'm so sorry about your bird. I know that must be hard for you.

Your work gaffe made me giggle. Hee! That's cute!

Take care of yourself and good luck!