31 January 2007

Ok, here's the idea

I've printed a list I got online from my favorite message board community. It's a list of 150 things to do instead of (x, y, z) destructive behavior; I haven't fully perused it yet, but it is my intention to do every single thing on the list. If something proves impossible for whatever reason, I vow to do something equivalent to that thing. My current situation requires that I focus on the present. It requires that I focus on trying to be the best student, worker, friend, wife, and Anne that I can be, right now, in this moment. I have an enormous propensity to live most of my life in the past and future - I waste a lot of energy regretting things past and planning for things future, failing to recognize that all I really have is now. And that's not a bad thing - it's just something I need to start living and understanding. A corollary to this is that I take to heart that I am human; while I'm striving to be the best student, worker, friend, wife, and Anne.... I will not be perfect, and that's ok. So I'm also aiming for self-acceptance. Why the 150 things? Because I am a very goal-oriented person. I have told myself that I can rethink the (x,y,z) bad behaviors once the list is done. Upon completion of the list (which could take as long as a year, maybe longer but doubtfully shorter), I will allow myself to reevaluate if I want to continue with the bad behaviors or if my life has been much better without them. I suspect the answer will be the latter... but I have to play these games with myself to goad myself forward. Yes, I'm that big of a dork. I reckon the sort of stuff I'm writing about right now is pretty boring, but it's helpful for me, so there you have it. I hope to figure out (again) how to upload pictures from my camera, so soon there will be pretty pictures once more, so there's that. Overall, I'm trying to remain positive, which is something of a new thing for me, the lifelong depressed cynic. So... the post immediately following will comprise the first thing on the list - here I go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're all so hard on ourselves, aren't we? It is a good thing to stay in the moment, instead of worrying about things you can't change, it's just not an easy thing to do. but practice helps. Take care of yourself.