03 May 2007

Bad news.

Well, I had my nursing assessment final last night. I did not pass. I should qualify that - I passed everything except the diastolic number of the blood pressure. I just couldn't hear it. I don't know what the problem was. I'd been on a tractor for several hours close to the time of the exam, but I have no idea if that affected how I was hearing. I was diagnosed with mild hearing loss in January at my physical, but it hadn't caused me problems with taking BP's all semester. I went to the lab many times to practice on the mannequins (the same ones I was tested on), and my readings were always either right on or within 2 mm's Hg. In the clinical, I was checked by instructor, classmates, and the electronic BP machine many times, and my readings were fine. Last night, though... I could hear the systolic but not the diastolic - I consistently called it too soon. What does this mean? It means that I have to go back in a week after the final lecture exam and do another BP. If I don't hear it, I fail the entire course. I have made an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow to have my ears rechecked and possibly irrigated. I am looking into buying a (very expensive - $200 - $400) amplifying stethoscope. And I am practicing. There isn't much else I can do. I am scared to death that I am going to fail. I can't believe it is coming down to something like this. I guess that's all for now. If you are so inclined, I would appreciate your prayers. Good thoughts are welcome too. Until later, ta.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am crossing everything crossable for you Anne! You can do it!

Anonymous said...

Oh Anne!! I'm going to think such positive thoughts on this. This isn't fair. Hugs to you! Hang in there.

Rurality said...

If it makes you feel any better, I had not one but TWO nurses fail to be able to hear this on me not long ago. In fact they stopped my stress test early because of it, I think. (When they finally were able to hear it, it was awfully high, which I'm not convinced was accurate.)

Good luck with getting the ears checked... the pricy instrument sounds pretty cool anyway though. :)