14 May 2007

For lack of a better photo

I give you cedar-apple rust,
pre-orange tentacles
I had meant to make a series of this particular lesion/organism, but life thought better of my plans and they got lost. I would love to be able to post about rust because, man, what an ingenious and alien-looking critter it is... but, alas, I don't think I'll have time. I would refer you to Rurality - http://rurality.blogspot.com/2007/03/orange-goo.html . I think she might have other photos of rust, too - it is truly an odd organism. The thing you see above is a prelude to jelly-like orange tentacles - it's quite amazing.
In other news - I have very little time to write, so I'll be brief - I have my blood pressure exam tomorrow morning, and I am not at all convinced that I will pass. I'll let you know.
My Women in the Outdoors classes went quite well. My assessment: I already knew everything they told me about wilderness survival and first aid. I need a more in-depth class to be able to learn something. However, it was lovely to be outside and the instructors did a good job. I also took a landscape sketching class, which was nice, but I'm not an artist and I got frustrated and started drawing moss and pine needles and acorn hats and lichens. I suck as an artist. In the afternoon, I took rifle and shotgun classes. I love shooting a shotgun! I have a bruise now on my shoulder, but still... it was very fun shooting trap. I ended up being pretty good at it, which is a bit strange given my spatial skills. I liked the rifle too, and my groupings on the paper we were shooting were relatively close together. I shot a 12 gauge shotgun and 22 caliber rifle, single shot and with a magazine. On the whole, it was a good day. I have stories to tell about it, but I don't have time right now. I am glad I went.
Well, I guess that's it for now. I'll write more tomorrow, maybe. If not then, soon.
Ta.

3 comments:

LittlePea said...

That picture made me feel like if I touched it, I would get itchy. :o)

I considor myself artistic and lemme tell ya, landscapes are very hard so don't feel bad. I myself love a simple leave drawing or moss anyway. Don't give up, with practice you'd better.

Oh shooting-I was never really good at it. I sprained my wrist the first time. I was really good at archery though-not that you asked. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. Maybe you'll find something more in depth later?

Anonymous said...

That tree has grown a brain!

LiVEwiRe said...

That looks like my brain. Which might explain why I'm so excited over the shotgun thing. Guess I'm just not so normal. Glad you enjoyed your event, you deserved it!