20 March 2007

ARGH

I'm not "argh-ing" over the state of these apple saplings (which, incidentally, are starting to show green a wee bit too early)... I just wanted to post a photo because - hey, it's kind of fun. At any rate, what I AM growling about is school. Nursing school, and the way they test us. Since I'm due at said school in 28 minutes, I can't really get into it... but, in short, I'm irritated at how hard I'm working with such a mediocre showing grade-wise. Especially since I consider myself a pretty intelligent person - I know the science and all the stuff from the textbooks, I know it backward and forward. I know I work well in a clinical setting - I grew up in my dad's practice, and I was a vet tech for years. Why on God's green earth am I having such a difficult time excelling on these damned tests? We've had two so far, and my showing is - meh. It's as if I've gone stupid. Given the chance to give a rationale behind why I gave certain answers (on these multiple choice tests), I feel certain that I would be doing much better. I know my thinking is sound. There is some slender solace in knowing that many of my classmates feel the same way. Not much, though. They tell us that next semester, we'll be able to write out a rationale. Why not this semester? What is this, some kind of hazing on the part of the faculty? (yes, I realize I'm being dramatic here)
I'm just really discouraged. I'm not accustomed to pushing myself hard, only to come up short. Feh.
Well, I'll soldier on. What choice do I have?
More on the morrow. Ta.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it! Just get past the "regurgitate everything exactly as we told you" stage and you'll be fine! :)

LittlePea said...

I just read your comments on my post about my father-in-law. Thank you! You're so sweet.

As far as school goes, I'm sure you'll get the ball going a little easier with some time....I'm always like that when I start learning new things.

lu said...

I hate standardized/multiple choice tests. My problem is that I always over think the questions. The trick is to keep your logic basic, don't go beyond the immediate question. Keep at it and if you can look at your tests, try to see if there is a pattern in the type of question you might get wrong. With my students they often find that they are looking at the bigger picture when the question is asking what's in this small frame.