08 November 2007

Millet and other things

Hi there. More pictures! I don't have much to put into words at the moment, for various reasons... so let the pictures do my talking. Yes, that's a cheap way out of writing, but so be it.
******************
Casey, my parents' golden. She is a doll, and she's getting old. I hate that.
My wonderful, beloved Dad, and Casey. Love the upraised paw!
This and the above photo were taken by my mom.
***********************
Hillside across from the orchard Another hillside shot. These were taken by a coworker. He was trying to capture a patch of sunshine on the hill, but the clouds weren't cooperating. Still pretty, though. *********************** These following shots were taken by me. Henbit, in the mint family. I laugh about these "weeds" I photograph (I love them, but I guess they are weeds, given where they are living) because they are growing in the herbicide strip in the tree rows. Herbicide, meaning - death to plants that aren't the trees -and it can damage the trees too. I love that some of these guys don't care. I would have a different attitude, I'm sure, if my livelihood depended on the crop. For that reason, I do not mind pesticides at all. A conversation for a different day, I suppose.
Flowers and fruit.
Another dramatic November sky. Beautiful.
Gold and blue.
****************************
And now? Millet, the series. First, an explanation. I feed birds from a small feeder attached to my office window. I am lucky enough to have a boss who, though he doesn't really love it, lets me get away with doing this. I am very grateful. For two summers now, we have had a lovely crop of sunflowers all across the front of the lab - thanks to my bird feeding ways. I think they actually added to the look of our lab, so I don't feel too bad about them. This year, my feeder spawned a crop of millet. It's only under my office window (whereas the sunflower seeds had been carried away, so were more dispersed across the front of the building), and it makes me laugh because... well, it's just so striking. I think it's pretty. You can look for yourself and see what you think.
Right under my office window.
An off-center close-up.
Another close-up.
...and the last close-up.
I think they're pretty.
**************
That's all for now. Much work to do. My advice for the day? Get outside. It's lovely, and it's real.
Until later, ta.

3 comments:

LittlePea said...

I love(!) all your pictures. ANd those zucchini cakes made my mouth water.

Mariposa said...

great pictures again! this is making me mad...this weekend i will go through all your pics here and i know it will be a tough thing to choose which of them to use...

lu said...

They are lovely.